Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Custom Shelf For My Wag-on-the-Wall Clock

A few days ago I made a custom shelf for my Wag-on-the-Wall clock. The design on this one was a bit challenging since the clock projects so far from the wall (counting the glass in the bezel, the clock is close to 9" deep). I didn't want to make the support brackets too large, or too stretched, so that's why they stop about an inch short of the shelf's front edge.

The shelf is made from pine, with the main shelf slotted into the backboard for extra strength, and the other parts glued and tacked in place with square nails. The top of the shelf matches the clock's upper crest, and you can just barely see that the small corner curves have a routed detail, which I matched on the lower brackets as well.







I also attempted to paint the shelf in a matching wood-grained rosewood, but because I just winged-it (without making several samples), my colours didn't end up matching as well as I had hoped. The final colour is much more red and darker than I expected. The base coat is a bright peachy pumpkin, with the graining done in a semi-translucent dark brown. I think the main problem with the colours was that I used a top glaze that was too dark, and too reddish.







I still like it, and the colour falls in between the clock's front surround, and its dark brown sides. Better luck next time, I suppose.

4 comments:

  1. Early German wag on the wall, nice piece. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Details on the clock were posted in two previous posts if you're interested:
      http://jcclocks.blogspot.ca/2014/06/new-purchase-wag-on-wall-clock.html
      http://jcclocks.blogspot.ca/2015/03/wag-on-wall-clock-cleaning.html

      Delete
  2. Interesting Blog. Well done. Im an antique cuckoo clock lover. Antiquecuckooclock.org is my site. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff. I'm surprised I didn't already have your site bookmarked. I see your posts on the BF Facebook page all the time. Great stuff!

      I really need to share photos of that mini BF shield clock I picked up 2 years ago. I haven't done anything with it yet. It needs a cleaning and inspection at the very least, and I think the dial hooks might be messed up on it as well. I'm not sure if this link to it would still work:
      https://www.etsy.com/transaction/152323727

      Delete